We Know De-Odorization
One of the worst things about fires in your home or office – even small fires that do relatively little damage – is the odor they leave behind. No matter how many cans of air freshener you use, no matter how many scented candles you light, the stench always seems to come back.
There’s a good reason for the lingering smell. More often than not, the source of the odor hasn’t been removed. Imagine finding a dead animal in your office building’s storage room or in your home’s crawlspace. Would you douse the creature in your favorite scented spray and consider the problem solved? Of course not.
From greasy stove fires to smoke damage caused by outdoor wildfires, SERVPRO of Southern Worcester County is trained and certified in fire damage restoration, including advanced deodorization principles.
If you or a customer suffer a fire damage – or some other accident – and require deodorization services, give us a call! Whether it’s a fire, water or mold damage – or even just a stubborn, unpleasant odor that refuses to go away – we’ll help make it “Like it never even happened.”
Why is that smokey smell so hard to remove?
Smoke odor particles are tiny – in some cases even microscopic in size. They are measured in microns and range in size from .1 (one tenth) of a micron to about 4 microns. Compare a tiny odor particle to a period created by a typewriter (about 150 microns) or to the tip of a human hair (about 75-100 microns).
The small size of odor particles allows them to penetrate surfaces easily. Other factors besides size can help smoke odors penetrate materials, such as:
Surface Porosity – The more porous a material, the more likely it is to absorb odors.
Heavy Concentrations of Residue – The more concentrated the residue, the greater the surface area of materials it can impact.
High Exposure Time – The longer a surface is exposed to odor particles, the greater the number of odor particles that will penetrate.
Heat – Heat causes porous surfaces to expand, allowing odors to penetrate even deeper. When heat is removed, the surfaces contract and trap the odor particles.
For Immediate Service - Call SERVPRO!
SERVPRO of Southern Worcester County provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the experience to handle your restoration and cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trust Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Whether your home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our building services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There’s never a convenient time for fire or water damage to strike your commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the time arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business!
Does Your Northbridge, MA Property Have Mold?
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise "mold removal" and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your Northbridge, MA home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If you see signs of mold, call us today at (508) 234-3399!
Wind Advisory Information
Sustained winds 25 to 39 mph and/or gusts to 57 mph. Issuance is normally site specific.
Extreme Wind Warning
Extreme Wind Warning (EWW) informs the public of the need to take immediate shelter in an interior portion of a well-built structure due to the onset of extreme tropical cyclone winds. An EWW for extreme tropical cyclone winds should be issued when both of the following criteria are met:
- Tropical cyclone is a category 3 or greater on the Saffir Simpson hurricane scale.
- Sustained tropical cyclone surface winds of 100 knots (115 mph) or greater are occurring or are expected to occur within one hour.
A watch for an increased risk of a gale force wind event for sustained surface winds, or frequent gusts, of 34 knots (39 mph) to 47 knots (54 mph), but its occurrence, location, and/or timing is still uncertain.
A warning of sustained surface winds, or frequent gusts, in the range of 34 knots (39 mph) to 47 knots (54 mph) inclusive, either predicted or occurring, and not directory associated with a tropical cyclone.
Commercial Water Damage Tips
When disaster strikes your commercial building, it can affect the ability of your business to operate effectively. Whether it's a roof leaking or flooding due to a natural disaster, you need to make sure you act quickly when your property has become damaged by water. Commercial water damage restoration in Massachusetts is a large feat to tackle and needs to be handled by a professional restoration company.
There are many steps that need to be taken when dealing with commercial water damage restoration:
Repairing the Water Damage
- Water mitigation is the first step. You must clear out all standing water before you proceed to any restoration.
- De-humidification and moisture control helps with the building's moisture levels. Your space will never dry out unless it is ventilated properly.
- Temporary air conditioners and cooling towers can be added as well. These machines will control the temperature within your building. This will prevent mold and mildew from forming in and on porous materials.
- Odor control will be taken into account when dealing with commercial water damage restoration as well. If mold and mildew has started to form, it will take a certified professional to mitigate the situation.
- Temporary roofing may be an option when it comes to weather-related damage.
- Board ups are essential to keep further damage from happening to your building. They enable damaged walls and windows to be temporarily fixed so the cleaning and restoration process can begin.
The faster the water is extracted and cleaned, the quicker your business can become operational. Protect your commercial building from water damage and call SERVPRO of Southern Worcester County at (508) 234-3399.
HVAC Cleaning for the Spring!
Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality. By removing contaminants from an air duct system, the effects of dust and mold are greatly reduced. Clean, healthy, circulating air is a must for those sensitive to indoor air contaminants, especially for people with allergies. But how dirty do your air ducts need to be before they need to be cleaned by a professional?
Here are the top reasons as to why air ducts should be inspected and serviced:
1. Allergies - By properly cleaning your air duct system, homeowners are protecting their families from harmful dust and other contaminants. Air ducts provide an ideal breeding ground for bacteria, mold, fungi, and other allergens.
2. Mold - Many air duct systems are located in a home’s basement, which may often be wet, damp, or have experienced flooding. This moisture may cause mold and mildew to grow in and around the duct-work. Cleaning your HVAC will help eliminate any offensive odors and reduce the potential for mold growth in the future.
3. Pets - Animal fur can get trapped in the vents and builds up living germs, fungus, and allergy-causing bacteria. The fur and dander can also hinder the efficiency of the HVAC system. Clumps of hair will slow down the airflow for the entire system if it allowed to build up.
4. Dust - If you start noticing an excessive amount of dirt and dust building up even after cleaning, it may be time for a professional. Homes built today will have drywall dust and construction debris in the duct-work before the owner even moves in.
5. Efficiency - Years of dust, hair, pests, and other pollutants in duct-work will hinder an HVAC system’s airflow. A proper cleaning will help remove the buildup and promote the proper airflow needed to run the system at peak energy efficiency.
When dirt and debris are removed from duct-work, the fans and motors that power a furnace no longer need to work as hard to distribute air. Advising people to routinely get their air ducts inspected and serviced is important. Not only does this properly maintain a home, but it keeps the quality of indoor air as pure as possible. However, duct cleaning is not always necessary. For more information on HVAC and air duct cleaning, give us a call at (508) 234-3399!
The Fire Restoration Process
After the fire trucks leave the scene of a fire, your home is likely to suffer from extensive smoke or water damage. Here at SERVPRO of Southern Worcester County, we have a seven-step plan that will help get you and your family back on track to your everyday lives.
1) Emergency Contact – The restoration process starts when you pick up the phone and contact SERVPRO of Southern Worcester County. Here, we will ask a series of basic questions pertaining to the damage to ensure that our staff is properly equipped upon arrival.
2) Inspection and Fire Damage Assessment – Here, our professionals will inspect your home, as well as assess the damage done. This step is crucial.
3) Immediate Board-Up & Roof-Tarp Services – When a fire compromises your windows and even roof-top, our professionals will take the necessary steps in ensuring no further damage by covering openings.
4) Water Removal & Drying – The water removal process beings immediately and after removal, dehumidifiers and air movers are placed strategically to ensure 100% dryness.
5) Removal of Smoke and Soot – Our professionals will use our specialized equipment and techniques to remove all soot and smoke remnants from all objects and surfaces.
6) Cleaning and Sanitizing – We clean, sanitize, and disinfect all of the restorable items and surfaces to get you and your belongings back to preloss condition.
7) Restoration – The final touches of repairs, painting, and installing of new carpets will be done to make the disaster, “Like it never even happened.”
Here at SERVPRO of Southern Worcester County, we understand just how devastating a home fire can be. Your safety is our number one concern and we will not stop working until we get the job done right!
If you have any questions, please call us at (508) 234-3399 or visit our website!
Tips for Protecting Your Business and Home
Protecting Your Business
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Weather, such as wind, heavy rain, ice and snow, can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surfaces and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Ask us about starting a Disaster Recovery Plan for your business.
Protecting Your Home
- Keep cabinet doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through un-heated or un-insulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut-off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off."
- If you follow the previous step, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puff-backs.
Fire Damage in Southern Worcester County
After the fire department has left your home, we are YOUR next step in cleaning your home and getting your life back on track. In addition to the fire, smoke, soot, and water damage, we offer a bevy of services that can quickly and effectively help restore your home to pre-fire condition.
These services include:
- Board-ups: In some situations, this may be necessary in securing openings to the structure. We use sturdy and durable materials designed to protect it from both weather intrusion and human/animal intrusion.
- Inventory Analysis: Using our Contents Claim Inventory Service (CCIS), we can take a comprehensive inventory of each room. During this type of analysis, we can determine which contents are salvageable and non-salvageable. This service can optimize both time and accuracy.
- Move-Outs: If your contractor requests that your goods and contents must be moved to a different location, we offer move-out services where we do the work for you. Our workers are professionally trained to properly inventory and control the contents from the structure during any cleaning, restoration, or deodorization process.
- Electronics Cleaning: Some smoke residues are known to contain certain types of acids that, when in contact with metal surfaces and water, have the ability to cause corrosion. This can eat away at any metal casing and cause electronic failure within the device. Here at SERVPRO, we are trained to clean the outside correctly and refer your equipment to a qualified vendor.
- Artwork Cleaning: We understand how costly some works of art are to restore post-fire. Restoration and cleaning of valuable artworks require the use of a trained art conservator. At SERVPRO, we usually will subcontract any fine art pieces to a conservator. However, if desired, our cleaning professionals may attempt to remove any residues or odors, only after given permission by the customer.
If you have any questions regarding our services, please gives us a call at (508)-234-3399 or visit our website.
Imagine a nice, relaxing weekend away with your friends and family. Whether you were away on a ski trip, an island, or even a cruise, the escape from grueling days at the office puts you in a total state of relaxation.
Now imagine coming home and walking down the basement stairs to find several inches of water everywhere.
What do you do?
The initial reaction might be to freak out and lose your cool. You then begin to shuffle through your phone and frantically call each and every number that promises to save you from your crisis.
This is foolish.
To skip this step, have SERVPRO of Southern Worcester County ready on call to save the day and bring your home back to preloss condition. Our professionals have the training and equipment to save you from any situation, no matter the severity.
If you experience a situation similar to the one mentioned, DO NOT hesitate to give us a call at (508) 234-3399 or visit our website.