Safety tips for Webster to guide you through the winter
If you are using a space heater(s)
- Only use heaters with an Underwriters Laboratory approval or another national testing lab.
- Keep the heater at least 3 feet from anything that is flammable.
- ALWAYS turn off space heaters when you leave the room, and before going to bed.
- NEVER use your oven to heat your home!
Using a fireplace
- Make sure your chimney has recently been inspected and cleaned by a professional before using it this season.
- Be sure you are burning clean, dry wood.
- Be sure there is a screen in front of the fireplace to prevent any sparks from flying into the room.
- Do NOT use gasoline or lighter fluid to start a fire
- Don’t use plastic or paper materials to remove ashes
- Instead, use a metal covered container
- Never vacuum hot embers.
General fire safety tips
- Be sure everyone knows how to dial 9-1-1
- Make sure the fire alarms are working by testing them, and be sure the batteries are fresh.
- They should be tested monthly
- Batteries should be replaced once a year or when the low battery alarm chirps.
*Information gathered from Smithfield Fire Department
Call us at (508) 234-3399 if you need fire or smoke damage restoration. We're here to help 24/7. It'll be "Like it never even happened."