HVAC Cleaning for the Spring!
Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality. By removing contaminants from an air duct system, the effects of dust and mold are greatly reduced. Clean, healthy, circulating air is a must for those sensitive to indoor air contaminants, especially for people with allergies. But how dirty do your air ducts need to be before they need to be cleaned by a professional?
Here are the top reasons as to why air ducts should be inspected and serviced:
1. Allergies - By properly cleaning your air duct system, homeowners are protecting their families from harmful dust and other contaminants. Air ducts provide an ideal breeding ground for bacteria, mold, fungi, and other allergens.
2. Mold - Many air duct systems are located in a home’s basement, which may often be wet, damp, or have experienced flooding. This moisture may cause mold and mildew to grow in and around the duct-work. Cleaning your HVAC will help eliminate any offensive odors and reduce the potential for mold growth in the future.
3. Pets - Animal fur can get trapped in the vents and builds up living germs, fungus, and allergy-causing bacteria. The fur and dander can also hinder the efficiency of the HVAC system. Clumps of hair will slow down the airflow for the entire system if it allowed to build up.
4. Dust - If you start noticing an excessive amount of dirt and dust building up even after cleaning, it may be time for a professional. Homes built today will have drywall dust and construction debris in the duct-work before the owner even moves in.
5. Efficiency - Years of dust, hair, pests, and other pollutants in duct-work will hinder an HVAC system’s airflow. A proper cleaning will help remove the buildup and promote the proper airflow needed to run the system at peak energy efficiency.
When dirt and debris are removed from duct-work, the fans and motors that power a furnace no longer need to work as hard to distribute air. Advising people to routinely get their air ducts inspected and serviced is important. Not only does this properly maintain a home, but it keeps the quality of indoor air as pure as possible. However, duct cleaning is not always necessary. For more information on HVAC and air duct cleaning, give us a call at (508) 234-3399!