Preventing Fire Damage to Your Milford Home
After a fire damages your Milford home, you may be extremely anxious to get your home cleaned, but before you start, it is important to get advice from a professional cleaning company such as SERVPRO of Southern Worcester County. Here are some tips you can do before SERVPRO arrives to professionally clean your home.
Prevent Further Damage
- Get the air circulating- Open the windows and install a fan to circulate areas and create ventilation. In cold weather, the cold air along with your heating system will usually help to remove the moisture if there has also been water damage.
- Dry wet items as soon as possible- Fans and dehumidifiers can be used to dry carpets and draperies. Draperies and carpets can become quickly damaged beyond repair by mold and mildew.
- Remove items that are brass or copper and clean them using brass or copper cleaner. Smoke can permanently damage these items within 24 hours.
- Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil under furniture legs and remove oriental rugs or other wall-to-wall carpeting that is wet.
Remove Soot from Household Textiles
- Remove soot from carpets and draperies prior to cleaning or deodorizing these items. Soot is oily and easily stains these household textiles. Professional assistance from SERVPRO is recommended when using chemicals or additives to break up the smoke molecules to eliminate odors.
Remove Smoke Odor from your Home
- Smoke can become trapped in walls and household ducts where it becomes trapped during a fire. Not having smoke properly removed will cause smoke odors to emerge from time to time. Consult SERVPRO for smoke removal from ducts. We understand the behavior of smoke and we will investigate how far the fire and smoke damage may have spread.
If you experience damage from fire or smoke, contact SERVPRO of Southern Worcester County immediately. Visit our website or contact us at (508) 234-3399.